Are you making the leap from yoga pants wearer to yoga practitioner? Why the hell not– you’ve already got the uniform, am I right? It can be intimidating being a newbie, watching other yogis draw their toes to their ears with all the ease and grace of a dancer. Meanwhile, you’re still struggling to stay grounded in Mountain Pose. And what’s up with all the Om-ing? Is it all just nebulous noise? So many questions…
Whether you’re new to fitness all together, or are a regular gym junkie, you’ll find there’s nothing like the yoga journey. And you may need some guidance to help you navigate this amazing ancient practice and make it all your own. I’ve taken a trip to the Yoga Mat Monkey archives and unpacked the 5 Best Blog Posts for Yoga Beginners. Here they are for your reading pleasure. May they help you on your path from yoga beginner to yoga boss….
- 5 Steps to a Successful Yoga Home Practice: The post is a Pinterest favorite. It’s been on viral status for months, and I’m hoping it’s doing the job I intended: helping newbies get their feet on the mat more often and truly enjoy their yoga home practice.
2. How to Kick Your Yoga Class Intimidation: This interview with a long-time yoga studio owner is chock full of tips for kicking yoga class intimidation and finding the confidence, time, and space to make yoga a part of your life.
3. The Top 5 Yoga Books on My Bookshelf: Don’t judge a book by its cover. Seriously, this post breaks them down and helps you decide which yoga books might be most beneficial for you — before you buy.
4. How to Be a Yogi (Humor): Laugh with me as I share a yoga poem infused with stereotypes and sarcasm. This one’s just for fun, folks!
5. How Yoga Made Me Fierce: A look at how I started, improved, and learned from my yoga practice– because there’s so much more to yoga than the booty-shaping benefits.
This one is for every yogi– from beginner to pro. I wrote the piece as a member of the editorial team at Do You Yoga. I invite you to check it out and see exactly what inspired the Yoga Mat Monkey website, and what keeps me hooked on my yoga life and practice…
P.S. Are you looking for a place to further connect with yogis of all skill levels? Come join me in my yoga small group on Facebook. It’s a phenomenal space where we support one another, laugh together, and share tips and adventures both on and off the mat. See you here!